Jump to Recipe

Savory Sunflower Seed Muffins - Healthy buttermilk muffins flavored with ranch spices, cheese and sunflower seeds. The perfect addition to a family dinner! | foxeslovelemons.com

How do you feel about the ham at Easter dinner? To be honest, along the lines of how the turkey is usually my least favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner, I could always take or leave the ham at Easter, too.

This all changed a few years ago when a friend told me that her family always ate their Easter ham cold. After all, the ham that most people serve is already fully cooked. You're just supposed to re-heat it in the oven, but you don'tneedto (check the label of your ham to make sure it's "ready to eat").

At first I thought this was a little strange. So…you have hot scalloped potatoes and other hot side dishes, but the ham is cold? What?

Savory Sunflower Seed Muffins - Healthy buttermilk muffins flavored with ranch spices, cheese and sunflower seeds. The perfect addition to a family dinner! | foxeslovelemons.com

That year, while my husband and parents and I were relaxing on Easter morning, I mentioned this cold ham conversation. And everybody started chiming in "You know…that actually sounds pretty good. I would eat cold ham! Screw it, let's not bake it! We're eating it cold!"

It saved us the trouble from actually having to bake it, and it was totally awesome. I took dinner rolls and made mini ham sandwiches for my Easter dinner.

Everybody knows leftover ham sandwiches are the best part anyway, so I just cut right to the chase and started eating leftover sandwiches a day early.

I love these leftover sandwiches with any bread I can get my hands on, but most especially dinner rolls, or savory muffins like these. I started with a basic buttermilk muffin batter, and added a whole mess of dried herbs and spices, green onions and Parmesan cheese to make them extra savory.

I also used NatureBox Country Ranch Sunflower Kernels both in the batter and sprinkled on top. These savory sunflower seeds are the perfect addition to salads, hummus, quick breads, or just eaten on their own. And, you should definitely eat them cold. Like ham.

Psst – use any extra buttermilk to make my buttermilk chicken marinade!

Savory Sunflower Seed Muffins - Healthy buttermilk muffins flavored with ranch spices, cheese and sunflower seeds. The perfect addition to a family dinner! | foxeslovelemons.com

Ingredients

  • 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried dill
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 2-1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/3 cup sliced green onions
  • 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
  • 2 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon NatureBox Country Ranch Sunflower Kernels, divided
  • 6 paper muffin cup liners

Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, onion flakes, garlic powder, dill, salt, baking powder, baking soda and black pepper. In medium bowl, whisk together egg, milk, buttermilk and butter; stir in onions, cheese, parsley and 2 tablespoons sunflower kernels.
  2. With wooden spoon, stir egg mixture into flour mixture until just combined; do not overmix.
  3. Line 6 standard muffin cups with liners. Evenly spoon batter into prepared cups; sprinkle muffins with remaining 1 tablespoon sunflower kernels. Bake 22 to 24 minutes or until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted in center of muffins comes out clean. Transfer muffins from cups to wire rack. Cool 10 minutes and serve warm.

Disclaimer: This post is part of an ongoing relationship I have with NatureBox for recipe development. Posts like this help me pay for the costs associated with this blog (groceries…lots of groceries), and help support me as I pursue a career in recipe development and food photography. All opinions are 100% my own.